Monday, October 19, 2009

Pumpkin Cake Roll

I think this might be my very favorite dessert EVER. My mom used to make this every fall when I was little. I called her on Saturday and asked for the recipe because I wanted to try and make it myself. It was fairly easy, and very delicious.

Please excuse the iphone photo. I was so excited to eat it that I didn't want to waste any time getting out my real camera. Ha!

cake
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2/3 cup pumpkin (from a can)
  • 1 T. lemon juice
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1 t. baking powder
  • 2 t. cinnamon
  • 1 t. ginger
  • 1/2 t. nutmeg
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1 cup chopped pecans

filling
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 6 oz. cream cheese
  • 4 T. butter
  • 1/2 t. vanilla

Beat eggs, sugar, pumpkin, and lemon juice. Then add dry ingredients and mix well. Pour into a greased and floured cookie sheet with edges. (You are basically making a really thin cake.) Top with pecans. Bake for 15 minutes at 375. Turn out on a clean dish towel sprinkled with powdered sugar. Roll towel and cake together and let that cool. (All you are doing here is making the cake cool in a way where it will roll back up easily.) Cool, then unroll and spread with filling. Roll it back up without the towel in it. Wrap in foil and chill in the fridge. When you are ready to serve it, sprinkle a little powdered sugar on top to make it look pretty. Then eat it! It's so good.
What could be better than pumpkin and cream cheese in the same recipe? Nothing, that's what.

1 comment:

  1. Have been meaning to thank you for sharing this recipe! Not only did it turn out well, but it actually inspired a blog post and article that I'm hoping to sell. Thanks so much!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete